Who doesn't want a few minions, particularly if they clean the house for you while you plot world domination in a bubble bath?
Come check out our offering today!
The winner of the Secret Life of the American Witch Tarot Reading giveaway is...
Today's Blogger: Melissa Chicky Cassick
The Hallowe’en Workout
My husband is a personal trainer, and I often find myself knee-bend deep in conversations which contain terms like hyperlipidemia and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. Maximizing physical potential is a fascinating subject, but I’m all about putting fitness to practical application. We need a sensible, comprehensive program, geared toward results we can use.
If you start in early October, you can be ready for any Samhain activity. No one wants to spend November nursing a pulled muscle or psychic strain because they were not properly prepared. Here is a simple routine that will have you in Sabbat shape and ready for ritual in no time!
- Party Prep - Dress in loose-fitting clothing. Pointy hat should be worn to improve your balance; brim weights are optional. Hold one arm out at the side (whichever hand you generally use to hold a mug of spiced cider.) Allow shoulders to relax. Side-step lightly to the left, then to the right. Hips can rotate in a semi- or full circle. If you wish to indicate that you don’t care, feel free to wave your hands in the air. “Monster Mash”-ing and doing the “Time Warp” are recommended ONLY for advanced students.
- Front Porch Dash -Place a bag in either hand. As you progress with this exercise, you can begin to add weight - start with lighter Kit-Kats and MalloCups before attempting Snickers and Hershey Bars. Lean forward, and sprint for 20 feet. Keep your elbows out to knock shorter people out of your way. Come to a complete stop, open bag, close bag, then turn and sprint again. Repeat this exercise as often as possible.
- Apple Bobbing -It’s a good idea to find out what capacity tub your host will be using. There’s no point training with a ten gallon tub only to find your host has placed her produce in a twenty gallon. Slow neck rolls and lower back stretches before training are imperative! Apple bobbing is an intense physical activity. Kneel on the floor, hands behind your back, and bend at the waist. Once your head is parallel to the floor, rotate your neck around on your shoulders, in both directions. Familiarize yourself with different varieties of apple: Galas, Macs, and Cortlands all have a different consistency, and will require a different jaw technique. You should work daily on lengthening the time you are able to hold your breath. This can also be a useful skill if a jack-o-lantern happens to set the house on fire.
- Carving Conditioning - Pumpkin carving is an activity which requires excellent wrist flexibility and lower arm strength. But don’t neglect those upper arms and shoulders! You’ll need them to lift your pumpkin onto the table, and get some leverage while you carve. Aim for three sets of wrist raises with a set of kitchen knives. You should start working out with a butter knife, and advance to a paring knife when you can slice a cantaloupe in less than a minute without breaking a sweat.
- Ritual Readiness - Decorating an altar and partaking in sacred rites doesn’t have to leave you breathless! Regular sessions of Yoga poses like the Triangle and the Standing Crescent can reduce muscle strain from bending to light candles, or reaching for a chalice. Remember: if you leave an offering of food for a loved one, make it a healthy one, and take into account their dietary limitations.
With some foresight and dedication, you can make your Samhain safe and injury free. Join us in December, when I will share tips for Yule - including tree-topper stretches, aerobic carols, and long-distance wassailing,
Visit Brian Cassick Fitness at http://www.briancassickfitness.com/
or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BrianCassickFitness
or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BrianCassickFitness
Song of the Day with Jennifer Rasmussen
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I feel like somebody's watching me.
Today's Recipe with Autumn Earthsong
Spicy October Morning Pumpkin Bread
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350º.
Combine flour and the next 7 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine sugar and the next 5 ingredients (sugar through pumpkin) in a bowl, and stir well with a whisk until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350º for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaves in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Sprinkle a little natural sugar on the top. Cool loaves completely.
If you are lucky enough to have a wonderful neighbor like I do, send the extra loaf over to them! They’ll love you for it!
Blessings and Love,
Autumn Earthsong is back for the 3rd year as our resident Kitchen Witch. You may have seen her recipes in Imramma Magazine and The Sunday Stew as well. Autumn has been a practicing Witch for 17 years and hails from Ohio. She is a wife, mother of two, and Nana to three busy little grandchildren. Samhain is a favorite time of year for her….with her name indicating what Season she loves! Cooking for family and friends this time of year is also a joy…..Especially this time of year! Hearth, Fire, love of family and good food is how she brings Magick to her home. You can also find her blogging at www.autumnearthsong.com. She looks forward to sharing her recipes with you all and hopes that you have a very Blessed Samhain Season!
Stones and Crystals with Jennifer Hodgson
Emerald is an amazing crystal. It is not only a wisdom stone but helps to bring to the surface what is unknown.
If you deal with claustrophobia then this is the crystal for you. This crystal also helps to overcome the misfortunes in life and can heal negative emotions.
If you are working on your psychic abilities this stone can help with clairvoyance.
Emerald is a great choice in helping to open the heart chakra and is very calming.
Giveaway from author Sam Curtin
One Signed Copy of Summer’s Hollow ($8 value)
High school is hard enough for a teenage girl as it is. For Rylie Bradford, she has the added stress of being flung into a world of vengeful spirits, bloody apparitions, and mysterious deaths. It all begins when Rylie and her friend Andy find an amulet that belonged to the legendary town witch. It looked simple enough; little did she know that it would cause murder and mayhem to ensue on the town of Summer's Hollow.
Here's how to enter: (Canadians, skip this part and go to your section)
Like/Get Notifications on the Sam Curtin Author Page. Come back, comment on this blog post and tell us that you did.
Remember to add your email address to the page (if you don't want to post it publicly, simply send it via the contact form at the top of the page).
Want extra entries??
1. Follow Sam on Twitter. Let us know you did.
2. Tweet about this giveaway. Comment with the link to your tweet.
3. Blog about this giveaway. Comment with the link to your blog post.
4. Follow Samhain's Sirens on Facebook. Comment, and let us know you did (if you're already following, just comment and say so!)
5. Follow this blog so you'll be in on all of the fabulous fun throughout October! Comment here that you did.
That gives you 6 chances to win this fabulous prize!
CANADIANS: LOOK HERE!
Canadians, your country requires that you answer questions instead of participating the American way ;) So, we're bringing you some good old-fashioned trivia about your country this year. Answer the question correctly in comments (don't forget to put your email address in the comment!) and you'll be given 6 entries in the giveaway!
Here's your question:
Who wrote the lyrics to Canada's national anthem?
This giveaway is open until 9pm PDT tonight. Winner will be announced tomorrow at 9am EDT. Remember, we have to notify the winner in email first, so those email addresses are critical for you to qualify for the giveaway!
Good luck everyone!